7.10.2007

No Crochet You

No Crochet You
No Crochet You,
originally uploaded by rrhood78.
I relized that I have never written about crochet. Yes I dabble in the dark arts. I think alot of fiber artists make a big to do about being one over the other. Mostly knitters sad to say, are consumed by the thought that knitting is some how better. I think that is crap! There is no logical that making a swatch of fabric with a hook is some how less than making a swatch out of two sticks. Of course there are advantages to both and they are slightly different from each other in style. Crochet makes a heavier fabric and uses more yarn, but anyone who does both will tell you that they can crochet a hat in less than an hour and most hat patterns can not be knit in that time. It is supper fast and easy to do while watching or ready. I do all of my charity items and most of my children's items in crochet. Crochet is playful in the way knitting is sophisticated looking.
I first learned how to crochet when I was very young ( four or five). I was tought by my grandmother. Who has crocheted everyday for most of her life. It is something that to this day we share and talk about on a regular basis. It is our bond and it was my glimps into the fiber world. I learned to make crocheted lace when I was a teenager, and still have that pattern book to refer back to.
I find that being able to do both, and having the tools to do both is helpful in most of my fiber adventures. I have yet to do a finished garment completely in crochet due to the heavyness of its fabric, but I do most of my hats and scarves in crochet for the same reason. I also do alot of finishing touches and embelishments on my knitted garments.
Crochet is in some way my past, but recently it has started feeling like my future too. The crochet community is growning and changing and I can feel it happening. I hear it and see it all around me. So, I am a Hooker and I am proud of it!

No comments: